Ohrid fortress is the symbol of the city of Ohrid, the walls and the towers of the fortress occupies the entire Ohrid hill which rises to 100 meters above the level of the lake. From all sides, with the exception of the southern, which is facing the lake, the city is being protected by high walls and defensive towers in the length of about three kilometers which is spreading all up to the Ohrid port. The height of the walls vary from 3 to 16 meters. The fortress first was build by the Macedonian king Philip II, in the 4 century b.c.By the time the fortress has been destroyed many times, rebuilt and upgraded.. But the most of the walls and the preserved towers date from the time of Tzar Samoil, who ruled from 976 until 1014 and center of its empire was OhrId. Because of that today the fortress is call Tzar Samoil fortress.
The first part of the fortress is the Citadel, the Citadel is divided with a wall in two parts, the first part was for emperor and in the second part of the Citadel the soldiers was accommodated. The second part of the fortress is a protective wall around the suburban area where courtiers lived with their families. The town was three main gates: The Upper gate, The Front Gate and the Lower gate. Nowadays only the Upper gate is fully preserved.
Categories: Places to visit